For the dressing:
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the salad:
1 bunch of Lacinato kale, washed
1/2 cup slivered almonds
About 1 1/2 cups cubed nectarines, peaches or supremed oranges
About 2 ounces Pecorino-Romano cheese
1. Put the lemon juice in a medium sized bowl. Use either a garlic press or a microplane to pulverize the garlic, and add it to the lemon juice. Add a generous pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper, and whisk everything together.
2. As you whisk, add the olive oil to the lemon juice mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly to form an emulsion.
3. Cut the kale into thin chiffonade strips no more than 1/4 inch wide and about 3 inches long, and place it in a large bowl. Whisk the lemon vinaigrette again to be sure it is not separated, then pour it over the kale. Toss the kale to be sure it is all well coated with the vinaigrette. Allow the dressed kale to sit while you prepare the other ingredients (the vinaigrette will slightly soften the kale as it sits). Note - the salad can be dressed up to a day ahead. Proceed to the next step when you are ready to serve.
4. Toast the slivered almonds in a dry pan over medium heat, tossing them around occasionally in the hot pan to be sure they don't burn. When they are medium brown in spots, they are done. (Don't allow them to turn too dark.)
5. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the Pecorino cheese into thick pieces. Distribute the cheese over the top of the kale.
6. Distribute the cubed fruit over the top of the cheese, then sprinkle the almonds over the top of the salad and serve.