Pico de Gallo
This delicious, fresh salsa adds a burst of flavor to almost anything, from scambled eggs to tacos. Originally created for our Mexican Cooking Fiesta class, this recipe was featured in our Mostly Plants series.
2 cups of ripe tomatoes, seeds and juice removed, diced small (click here to learn how to do this easily)
1 cup of yellow or white onion, diced small
About 15-20 sprigs of cilantro, roughly chopped (about 1/4 cup chopped)
1 jalapeno or serrano chile, diced small (about 1 Tablespoon or less to start with, more if desired)
Juice of 1 lime (about 1 1/2 Tablespoons)
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Combine the tomatoes, onions and cilantro in a bowl.
2. Stir in the lime juice and salt, and about 1 Tablespoon diced chiles.
3. Taste it with a bit of whatever you're serving it with - a tortilla chip if you're serving it with chips, or a bit of corn tortilla if you're serving it on tacos. Since the chips bring quite a bit of salt to the bite, you'll want to adjust your seasoning accordingly. Adjust the diced chiles, lime juice or salt as needed.
4. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend, then taste again and adjust salt, lime juice or chiles as needed.
5. Your Pico de Gallo is ready!