Friday Night Apricot Chicken
The sweet nectar of apricots, with a little umami zing. Just about the simplest and most delicious thing you can make - on any night. Visit Why Did the Chicken Cross the Globe? for the origin story behind this dish.
3 peeled and smashed garlic cloves
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
2-3 bay leaves
6-8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks
1 1/2 cups apricot juice (12 ounces)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees with the oven rack in the middle position.
2. Lay the garlic cloves, onions, bay leaves and peppercorns in the bottom of a large baking dish. Lay the chicken pieces on top, skin side down.
3. Mix the apricot juice and Worcestershire sauce together and pour them over the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with half the salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over, sprinkle with the remaining salt and more pepper to taste and bake for another 15-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and slightly browned, and the sauce is bubbling.
5. Serve with the pan juice.
Thank you to Rebecca Schneider for the original version of this recipe.