Ina Garten's Fattoush
A really delicious Middle Eastern salad. This recipe will give your knife skills a good workout!
For the salad:
10 scallions, thinly sliced
1 pound tomatoes, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
1 medium cucumber, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
1 can of chickpeas, drained (12-16 ounces)
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup chopped (or julienned) fresh basil leaves
For the dressing:
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 3-4 lemons)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 ounces good quality feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1. Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.
2. Combine the lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, adding it in a thin stream and whisking constantly to emulsify the dressing. Taste a piece of cucumber coated with the dressing to check seasoning, and correct if necessary.
3. Pour 3/4 of the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Add more if needed (you may not use all the dressing).
4. Add the feta cheese and lightly toss to combine, being careful to keep the feta pieces whole.
5. Your Fattoush is ready! Serve with the pita bread as a side dish (goes great with any grilled meat, sandwiches, or just about anything else you eat in summer), or inside a pita bread pocket as a light lunch.
Read Ina Garten's original recipe here: http://barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=514&S=0