A fully grown-up, flavor-packed approach to coleslaw that throws tradition out the window.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
4 anchovy fillets, finely minced
1 garlic clove
Coarse salt, if needed
1/4 of a head of green cabbage, shredded (or sliced very thin)
1/4 of a head of red cabbage, shredded (or sliced very thin)
4 carrots, cut into thin julienne strips
1. Combine the yogurt, lemon juice and anchovies in a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine. Use a microplane or garlic press to pulverize the garlic and add it to the other ingredients. Add a few grinds (or a pinch) of pepper and mix well to combine.
2. Taste carefully to determine if a tad bit more salt is needed or not. Anchovies can be very salty, so you might not need to add any salt.
3. Combine the cabbages and carrots in a large bowl, tossing to combine.
4. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrot mixture and toss well to combine (you might not need all of the dressing). Ideally, allow it to sit for about 30 minutes before serving so the flavors can mingle.
5. Your Anchovy-Garlic Coleslaw is ready! Serve to adventurous guests and enjoy.
Inspired by the recipe for Caesar Coleslaw by Rick Rodgers, published in Bon Appetit July 2003. See his original recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/caesar-coleslaw-108278