The flavors of France, rolled into every bite.
1 spinach tortilla
Baby spinach or torn spinach leaves
1 small tomato, cut into thin strips (click here to learn how to do this)
1. Lay the tortilla on a clean, flat work surface.
Tortillas Aren't French!
And neither are pinwheels! In the Adventure Kitchen, when we are making authentic French food, we use authentic French ingredients. But when we're inventing something new (like this recipe), we can get creative! For this dish, we've wrapped French-inspired ingredients in a spinach tortilla for great flavor and a beautiful green color any French chef would appreciate. Yum!
2. Use a spatula or the back of a large spoon to spread the Herbed Goat Cheese Spread over the whole surface of the tortilla.
3. Lay the spinach leaves in one even layer over the bottom 3/4 of the tortilla.
4. Lay the tomato slices horizontally in an even layer over the bottom 3/4 of the tortilla. (Horizontal will make it easier to roll up your pinwheel at the end.)
5. Lay the strips of chicken horizontally in an even layer over the bottom 3/4 of the tortilla.
6. You are ready to roll! Start where the ingredients go all the way to the end of the tortilla and begin to roll the tortilla up from the bottom, rolling all the ingredients inside as you go. A nice, tight roll will produce beautiful pinwheels.
7. When you have finished rolling, lay the roll with the seam on the bottom. Choose a serrated knife to cut your roll into pinwheels. (A serrated knife has a jagged blade rather than a smooth blade.)
First cut the irregular ends off. (The ends taste great, but they don't look as nice to serve. You can eat these in the kitchen - the chef's bonus!) Then make slices all the way through the roll, about an inch wide. To make beautiful pinwheels, gently but steadily draw the knife back and forth over the roll, allowing it to fall through the layers as it goes. Gentle pressure should be enough to cut through the layers without smashing everything down into a mess.
8. Carefully lay the slices on their sides to serve.
9. Your French Pinwheels are ready!