Turkey, Bacon & Avocado Sandwich
Avocados are nutritious, delicious and gorgeous! Add some bacon and other good stuff and you can't go wrong.
2 slices whole-grain bread
1 ripe avocado (you will use half)
Mayonnaise or Dijon mustard
2 slices all-natural sliced turkey
About 4 slices of bacon
Thinly sliced red onions
3-4 tomato slices
Lettuce leaves (we like Romaine, Green Leaf or Spinach in this sandwich)
1. Lay the bread slices on your work surface
2. Cut the avocado into slices like this:
Carefully use a table knife (also known as a butter knife) to cut the avocado in half the long way. If your avocado is perfectly ripe, the knife should go through the tough outer skin pretty easily. As you attempt to cut through, your knife will hit the large pit in the center. Once you hit this, continue cutting through the avocado, working all the way around the pit. In the end, your avocado will be in two halves, held together around the pit. Twist the two halves away from each other and pull them apart. You will have an avocado half in one hand with the pit in the center, and another half in your other hand, with no pit.
For this recipe, it's easiest to use the half with no pit. (You can eat the other half, or give it to a friend).
Use the same knife to slice through the bright green flesh of the avocado the long way, from one end to the other. As you slice, press down enough to go all the way through to the skin without cutting through the skin. Once you have made one slice, keep slicing and slicing to make several more parallel slices.
3. Use a large spoon to scoop out all these slices in one motion (if you can). Lay the slices onto the bread and use a fork to mash and spread them onto the bread so that they cover the whole slice (so that you will have avocado goodness in every bite).
4. Spread the mustard or mayonnaise evenly on the other slice of bread.
5. The slice of bread with avocado on it will be the bottom of your sandwich. You will "build" your sandwich on top of the avocado, and the other slice will go on top at the end.
6. Lay the turkey flat on top of the avocado.
7. Spread the bacon slices on top of the turkey so that it evenly covers the whole sandwich.
8. If you are packing your lunch to bring to school - use your fingers to remove the juicy seeds from each tomato slice. This will help prevent your sandwich from becoming soggy by the time you get to eat it. If you are eating your sandwich right away, skip this step! All that juicy goodness will be delicious if you eat it right away.
9. Lay the tomato slices on top of the bacon, spreading them out so that they cover the whole surface of the sandwich.
10. Separate the onion slices into individual circles, so that instead of one big disk of onion, you will have many circles of various sizes. Spread the onion circles evenly over the tomatoes.
7. Lay the lettuce leaves on top of the onions.
8. Turn the other slice of bread upside-down on top of the sandwich, so that the dry side is up (of course!). Carefully cut your sandwich in half (this makes it easier to eat)
9. Your Turkey, Bacon & Avocado Sandwich is ready! Pack it up and be sure to tell your friends you made your own lunch today!