Cool as a cucumber, with a hint of mint and the slightest tang of yogurt. Blessedly refreshing, with no cooking required. Perfect on a hot summer day.
This recipe was originally created for our Series of Unfortunate Recipes, based on the book and Netflix series by Lemony Snicket.
Serves 6-8 as a light appetizer.
4 medium-sized cucumbers
1 cup plain yogurt (preferably whole milk)
1/2 cup sour cream
About 15-20 leaves of mint, plus more for garnish if desired
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, or a pinch more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel and seed three and a half cucumbers (leave the skin on the remaining 1/2 cucumber and set it aside). Chop the peeled and seeded cucumbers into large chunks and add them to a blender.
2. Add the yogurt, sour cream, 15-20 leaves of mint, mustard, turmeric, salt and pepper to the blender.
3. Blend everything into a smooth puree. Chill for at least 1 hour.
4. Seed the remaining 1/2 cucumber and dice it into very small cubes.
5. Taste the soup and adjust spices and seasonings as needed. If your cucumbers are a little on the large side, you may need a pinch or two more to balance the flavors. Pour soup into serving bowls and garnish with diced cucumber and additional mint leaves.