Simple Strawberry Galette
The simplest thing you can do with pastry and fresh strawberries.
Visit People Like Pie to learn more about the cooking class that inspired this recipe.
Makes 2 smallish galettes, serving 4-6.
16 ounces fresh strawberries
2 Tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting the galettes
One disk Pâte Brisée pie crust pastry (half a recipe), cold
Flour for rolling out
1. Rinse, dry and hull the strawberries. Cut them into quarters and put them in a large bowl.
2. Add sugar to the bowl and stir to evenly combine. Set aside.
3. Roll the disk of Pâte Brisée into a rough rectangle about 20 inches wide by 10 inches tall, and about 1/8 inch thick. Cut two large circles out of either end of the pastry rectangle, each about 9 inches in diameter. (You can use an upside-down bowl as a giant cookie cutter). Save the scraps for another use, such as Pie Crust Cookies.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Place one pastry circle toward one end of the baking sheet and use a large spoon to scoop about half the strawberries into the middle of the circle, leaving a border of about 1 1/2 inches in all directions. Gradually fold the edges of the pastry toward the middle, going around the circle until all edges have been folded in, leaving a gap in the middle of the strawberries (trim the pastry if needed to maintain a gap). Repeat with the other pastry circle and the remaining strawberries on the other end of the baking sheet. Rest the baking sheet with the two galettes on it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with the oven rack in the middle position.
6. After the galettes have rested, remove them from the refrigerator and sprinkle the sugar around the pastry edges of each galette, being careful not to spill too much onto the parchment (it will burn).
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the strawberries are bubbling. Serve hot, on its own or with ice cream or whipped cream. (Can also be served at room temperature.)