Upgrade the standard turkey-leftover sandwich.
Delicious crusty bread of your choice, sliced
Cooked turkey, such as leftover Thanksgiving turkey
Thinly sliced red onion
Soft gorgonzola or other bleu-style cheese
1. Lay slices of bread on your work surface.
2. Spread cranberry sauce over half the slices.
3. Tear leftover turkey into large shreds and lay on top of the cranberry sauce.
4. Layer spinach leaves and onion on top of turkey.
5. Spread a thin schmear of gorgonzola cheese over each of the remaining slices and top the sandwiches with them.
Is it ridiculous to write a recipe for a sandwich? Well, not for Tyler Kord, who has written an entire cookbook dedicated to totally creative sandwich-making (and totally creative cookbook writing as well).
I'm no Tyler Kord, but in this case, this sandwich is so amazingly delicious, and only available for your enjoyment once a year (what with this cranberry sauce being a necessary ingredient and all), I just have to share it.
Note that some gorgonzolas are more spreadable than others, and they vary in sharpness/funkiness. More spreadable makes it easier to work with on a sandwich, and I'd say you're looking for a medium-sharpness/funkiness. But whatever you get, I think you'll love it.
(And whatever you do, please use the bourbon in your cranberry sauce.)
Best. Sandwich. Ever.
(PS, here's a link to Chef Tyler's book on Amazon. Pretty brilliant.)