Chef Jayson's Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Classic American juicy, crispy goodness.
2 cups buttermilk
4 Tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoons honey
8 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken
3 cups all-purpose flour, well seasoned with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder
Canola oil for frying
1. Combine marinade ingredients in a large bowl, then place chicken pieces in the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
2. Remove chicken from buttermilk marinade and coat well in the flour mixture.
3. Place chicken on a tray to rest for 30 minutes until the chicken looks wet and sticky.
4. Heat one inch of canola oil in a large cast-iron or frying pan to 325 degrees. Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture again and lay them in the hot oil, skin-side down, in batches as needed.
5. When you add the chicken to the oil, the temperature will decrease. Fry for 20-25 minutes, maintaining a temperature of 260-280 degrees, and turning the chicken pieces periodically to achieve an even, golden-brown color. Cook to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
6. Drain chicken pieces on paper towels or newspaper while you fry the second batch. Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before eating.
Thank you to Jayson Brown for this recipe.