Best Cranberry Sauce
Step away from the can! And while you're at it, we strongly recommend you include the optional bourbon for an unbelievably simple and delicious cranberry sauce everyone will be talking about.
1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
2 cups white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Optional but absolutely fabulous: 1/4 cup bourbon
1. Check to be sure the oven rack is in the middle position (if not, move it there). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Choose a 2-quart baking dish with a lid. Combine the cranberries, sugar and cinnamon in the baking dish and mix thoroughly to combine. Put the lid on, and put the dish on a rimmed baking sheet (in case of spills).
3. Bake for 30 minutes, stir, and return to the oven to bake for 20 minutes more.
4. When finished, remove from the oven and quickly pour the bourbon (if using) over the cranberry sauce, stirring it in.
5. Allow the cranberry sauce to cool to room temperature. May be kept in the refrigerator for a week or more. Serve at room temperature alongside Thanksgiving Turkey, slathered on good bread with turkey leftovers for a Cranberry-Bleu Turkey Sandwich, or warm it and serve it dolloped on over ice cream or pancakes.
Adapted from "Bourbon Cranberry Sauce" in Bon Appetit, November 1991.