Simple Roasted Beets
4-6 medium beets
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with the rack in the middle position.
2. Scrub the beets and pat them dry. Wrap each beet well in aluminum foil, and place all the wrapped beets, seam side up, on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a thin-bladed knife easily pierces through the middle of each beet. (If they are of varying sizes, they may require different cooking times. If this is the case, remove those that are done and allow the others to cook longer.)
4. Allow the beets to cool just enough to remove the skins without burning yourself. You can do this with a paring knife, with your fingers, or just by rubbing the beats with paper towels (or a cloth towel you don't care about staining).
5. Cut the beets into chunks as desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.